spottyfeets

Monday, March 10, 2008

To chemo or not to chemo? 

Last Thursday, as my friend Brooke and I wrangled Milo into a tiny room at the oncologists office, I looked over my list of topics to cover with the vet. I was trying to be organized and hold it together.

Sitting in the chair, I really did not think I was going to do the chemo for Milo, the main factor being money. Don't most things come down to money? When the doctor (who is my age, by the way) came in, I liked her instantly. Milo wasn't so sure, which is why he faced the wall away from her and barked.

Dr. Silver went over all of the different drugs involved in chemotherapy, their potential side effects and how those side effects are treated. We talked about Milo's health, temperment and overall prognosis. We talked about how he would be feeling during treatment because I didn't want him to feel sick or in pain. We talked about long-term life span stuff.

After our conversation, I was not ready to make a decision and she was kind about it and told me I could take a few days, but the sooner the better. She told me not to be surprised to notice marked changes in his nodes from one day to the next. This disease was aggressive and out to get him.

All along everyone had been telling me "You'll know the right choice," but really, I had no idea what that meant. I didn't understand what that meant. I'm practical by nature and what, was a voice going to thunder from above? As I sat in the waiting room, I felt a weight lift off of my shoulders. I knew what I had to do. I was not ready to let go of my guy- he's too full of life. I knew the right choice.

I did not want to make an on-the-spot decision, so Brooke, Milo & I went home. I really did not have to think too long about it before I called back saying Milo and I were in for the long haul. I was told to come back in 20 minutes.

Milo's first treatment went well, I suppose. I heard some dramatic barking from the back and then he was lurching towards me with a cute little green bandage on his back leg. And that was it for treatment #1.

He's on a steroid now, which makes him super thirsty, but other than that he's the same guy he's always been. Picking fights with bigger dogs, cozying in his chair and continuing to always be chronically gorgeous.
Posted by Kristen @ 6:01 PM

Comments:

Hi there...thanks for your comments about Belle, especially the one today as it reminded me that I wanted to check in with you about Milo. I gave a little, I hope it helps...hang in there!
invisible